My family is always asking me to make pies. I don’t mind making pie once in a while, but the amount of time that goes into making a pie or two seems extremely disproportionate to the amount of time my family enjoys it. I have been looking for recipes that are less work and easier to put together anytime. Caramel Apple-Nut Bars fits the bill for easy and delicious, my oldest daughter helped me put it together and she could almost do it completely by herself but my knifes are very sharp, so I peeled and sliced the apples.
- For the Crust and Topping
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cups butter or margarine, softened
- For the Apple Filling
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium apples, peeled, chopped (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray the bottom and sides of 13×9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. In large bowl, mix 2 cups flour, the oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and butter with electric mixer on low speed until crumbly. Press about 3 cups of the mixture in pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix caramel topping, cinnamon and 3 tablespoons flour. Sprinkle apple and pecans over partially baked crust. Drizzle with caramel mixture. Spread the remaining crust mixture over the apples and caramel.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Recipe Adapted from Betty Crocker